It’s that time of the year where our tropical islands may experience some interesting weather and that’s why we think it’s important to stay informed about how to stay safe in your home and on the road. Speaking of homes, if you are in the market for a luxury estate property, ocean front home, or any other real estate in West Maui, please do not hesitate to contact us and let us walk you through your options.
Discover Maui with our Maui Information Database
But back to what we came for today and that’s to discuss how to stay safe during the rainy season on Maui. For the past year we have been experiencing an extreme drought, causing all sorts of issues for our island and community. Soon that time will be over as we are now entering a wet season, set to run from November through March.
According to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center, forecasters are saying the current El Niño-Southern Oscillation-neutral conditions are likely to continue through spring 2020. It appears as if we will be experiencing above average rainfall so that means we need to be extra cautious. Here are a few tips on how to be aware this rainy time of the year.
- Do not drive on roads with fast-flowing water.
- Beware of flooded streams.
- Don’t hike alone, and be aware of rivers while walking. When approaching a stream, be cautious and wait for the water to recede.
- Stock up on candles, batteries and other items needed in the event that there are power outages on the island.
- Avoid traveling around flood-prone areas and plan ahead to take different routes.
- The wet season brings increased potential for lightning strikes: Be prepared for power outages; Move indoors when you hear thunder.
- Clear debris from gutters and drainage ditches to ensure water can flow freely.
Get a live look at your future home on Maui with our Maui Webcams
Those are a few great tips from NOAA on how to be prepared this wet season. If you need any tips about buying a luxury home on the island or about real estate in general, please do not hesitate to reach out to one of our luxury property specialists. With our knowledge and know-how we can help you decipher what it is you are looking for and find a way for you to get it! There’s no reason you can’t make your dream of being a luxury property owner come true, so don’t hold yourself back and instead work with our team to make the most of your life today!