Cycling is one of the most exciting ways to explore the breathtaking natural beauty of Maui. Most of the highways and major roads have a dedicated bike lane or shoulder for those who want a challenging activity while on the island. Here are some of the best cycling routes in Maui for those wishing to experience our beautiful Hawaiian island on two wheels:
- West Maui Loop – This 60-mile loop ride goes around the West Maui Mountains, allowing you to enjoy the spectacular mountain and ocean views. The best way to start is early morning from Lahaina, following the route in a clockwise direction for added comfort and favorable winds behind you.
- Maui North Shore Greenway Trail – A 7-mile ride that runs between Kahului in Central Maui and Paia on Maui’s North Shore. You have two great options to enjoy this ride: One is to follow the trail that will bring you to the ocean side behind the Kahului airport runway. The other option is to veer off the trail and ride along through the peaceful neighborhoods in Spreckelsville. The route is a family-friendly, car-free ride that is best for beginners and riders who just want to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
- Paia to the summit of Haleakala – An epic 35-mile uphill ride from sea level to the Haleakala Summit 10,000 ft. above sea level; this ride is ideal for experienced cyclists. The route to the summit is paved and regularly maintained, but also heavily trafficked by residents and tourist motor vehicles.
- Skyline Trail – This is Maui’s crown jewel ride and the most challenging as you head down from the summit of Haleakala. Plan for cold to cool temperatures and various terrains like grass, forest, gravel, and loose volcanic cinder. Some spots can be tricky, so make sure you are well-prepared.
- Polipoli Springs Loop – This Kula loop is one of many mountain bike trails that you can take from the Polipoli Spring State recreational place. It covers a popular section of the Skyline Trail, the Mamane trail which requires some technical skills due to extended sections with boulders and rocks. To ensure an enjoyable ride, hit the trail early in the morning to get a glimpse of the wonderful sights because, as the day wears on, the area is typically covered with clouds and mist.
- Kahakapao Loop – Another well-loved mountain bike trail in the Makawao Forest Reserve. This 6-mile long loop with a 1000 ft elevation gain is a nice trail for kids and adults. Tip: If you are with your kids, it is best to ride this route counter-clockwise.
Popular Maui Bike Tours
Ready to experience paradise on two wheels, but don’t want to go it alone? There are numerous bike tour companies to choose from on the island such as; Maui Easy Riders, Maui Bombers, Bike Maui, Mountain Riders, and many more.
Reach out today and let us help you find the perfect home on Maui from which to enjoy your cycling adventures! Aloha!