Are you ready to make that move to Hawaii? Have you been eyeing your dream home in paradise from afar year after year, day after day, and are finally ready to make that dream a reality? We hope so. Life is too short to watch it pass you by. Now all you need to do is make sure you are prepared by getting your ducks in a row. Well, our agents can help you with that.
If you have secured your luxury listing in West Maui or your dream Hawaii beachfront property on the island, then it’s time to get down to the nitty-gritty and start preparing for that big move. Read on to learn more about what you’ll need to do to make sure you are ready for your move with our…
Moving to Hawaii Checklist
- Secure a P.O. Box/Change of Address Form: This is key to ensure your move to Hawaii is smooth. Nothing hurts more than missing letters, notices, bills, and so on and it can be a lot moving halfway around the world. So, make your move and transition as easy as possible by filling out a change of address form. Here is the Official USPS Change of Address.
- Selling your car vs shipping it: If you plan to move to Hawaii, you are going to have to ship your car or sell it and buy a new one once you get here. Look into the cost differences of shipping your car versus purchasing one on the island. Shipping from the mainland can cost from about a thousand and up depending on the car’s origin location, as well as taking about a week getting there by boat, so it varies by your situation and what works best for you. Here is some of the latest information on Car Shipping to or from Hawaii by one of the big shippers, Matson.
- Shipping household goods to Hawaii: There are going to be some personal household belongings that you are going to want to bring with you. Here is the latest on Household Goods Shipping from Matson. They are one of the biggest and longtime companies, but they are not the only ones providing this service, so be sure to shop around. U-Haul’s U-Box containers to Hawaii would be another place to check and see if they fit your needs.
- Moving to Hawaii with pets? Time to do a little research: Moving your pet to Hawaii is not an easy process, unfortunately. Your pet will have to be quarantined prior to the move. Read more about this process by looking at the latest information provided by the State of Hawaii Animal Quarantine Branch.
- If you haven’t secured a home, look into rentals ahead of time: If you still aren’t sure about what home you want to buy, it might be easy for you to book a rental so you can start seeing some of these properties in person and getting more familiar with the areas of the island once you get here.
- Book Your One-Way Airline Ticket and Rental Car: Here’s the last step to making your move official. Once you book that one-way ticket, there’s no looking back. Plan ahead and make sure you have wheels for once you hit the soil.
That’s your list of musts for moving to Hawaii. If you are in the market for a new home on Maui, please do not hesitate to contact us. We have a wide selection of homes for sale and can’t wait to welcome you to Hawaii.